Musing Monday

Do YOU like the changes that have come to bookselling in the last several decades? Do you shop online? Do you prefer big chain stores, or do you prefer small, independent shops? Why?

While I love small, independent booksellers, I must admit that I prefer the prices I find online or at larger chain stores. Growing up in California, we had a delightful, local bookstore in our town. I loved it and I frequented it often. Several years ago, it went out of business. It was tragic, but I also think it was inevitable, unfortunately.

With places like half.com, Amazon, Costco and Wal-Mart selling first-run books at a significant discount, it's hard to pay full price somewhere else. Even large chain stores like B&N and Borders discount their books, and if you're a member, you get additional, special deals.

Here in my Idaho town, we have several local used bookstores, but no local independent bookstore with new books. Over in Boise, we have B&N and Borders, and on our date nights, my husband and I always seem to end up at B&N after dinner!

So, while I miss the small-town feeling of an independent bookstore, I do like the convenience and lower cost of shopping online and elsewhere. Of course, for my small-town personalized book needs, I do have my local library, where I am a frequent patron!

For more Monday Musings, visit Should Be Reading.

Comments

  1. I keep hearing about half.com. I really need to check them out as soon as the spending ban is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Holly!

    Off topic but you won my giveaway for the Miss Spider book. Pop me an e-mail at readingtoknow (at) gmail (dot) com with your mailing addy and I'll shoot that off to you.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As many books as i like to read I have to buy mine on line for the prices. which i do love the feel of the small bookshops

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment