Booking Through Thursday...Coupling

Today's Booking Through Thursday asks:

“Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.”

What a cool question. 1 More Chapter had pictures with her list, which I thought was awesome, so I'm doing that too!

Well, you must have Anne Elliott and Captain Wentworth on your list. He's so faithful. He loves her for so long, even after she refuses him. She's so strong. She puts up with her wacky family and yet, her heart is always his. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you." (Your picture must be of Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root. Rupert Penury-whatshisname was ok as Frederick, but Sally Hawkins was pathetic. That version was just sad...)

Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. From childhood rivals to sweethearts. "I don't want diamond sunbursts or marble halls...I just want you."

Elizabeth and Darcy. Need I say more? "It taught me to hope,'' said he, "as I had scarcely ever allowed myself to hope before. I knew enough of your disposition to be certain that, had you been absolutely, irrevocably decided against me, you would have acknowledged it to Lady Catherine, frankly and openly.'' (Your picture must be of Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Because while Matthew Macfadyen was an acceptable Darcy, Keira Knightley's Elizabeth was an absolute travesty.)

Harry and Ginny. Seeing them finally get together in the Half-Blood Prince and then break up was sad. Knowing that they still loved each other throughout the Deathly Hallows. How can you not be happy to see Ginny marry Harry? It was so totally perfect. "And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her."

Ron and Hermione are great too. don't get me wrong. Comic relief all the way... "And what did you tell her Ron's got?" "A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where." ... "There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth."

Riker and Troi (Bluestocking had this one and I completely agree!!) While not completely literary, I totally loved them and it was so awesome to finally see them get together. "Do you remember what I taught you, Imzadi? Can you still sense my thoughts?"

Scarlett and Rhett... How can you not like Scarlett and Rhett? Ashley was such a putz and she wasted so much time over him. "But, Scarlett, you need kissing badly. That's what's wrong with you...You should be kissed and by someone who knows how."

The Doctor and Rose... It ended up being on a parallel universe with the second tenth doctor because of a human biological metacrisis but still, “How long are you going to stay with me?” “Forever."

Jo March and Frederich Bhaer. Everyone roots for Jo to marry Laurie. But, she and Frederich are true soulmates. You see this so much clearer in the sequels. "Jo, I haf nothing but much love to gif you. I came to see if you could care for it, and I waited to be sure that I was something more than a friend. Am I? Can you make a little place in your heart for old Fritz?" he added, all in one breath.

Comments

  1. Holly, what an awesome post. I had forgotten about Anne and Gilbert and Harry and Ginny. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing new to add: great list and great photos!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment