Proofreading Error of the Day

Our local paper has a monthly health-related insert. Look at the cover of yesterday's insert and see if you can spot what is wrong.

Did you see it? Did you know that there is a new spelling for diabetes? It's Dietebes.

Now, as an editor by trade or at least, education, I know it can be extremely difficult to find every possible error in a manuscript, especially if you're under a deadline. However, with today's technology of spell check and even with good old-fashioned proofreading, how do you miss a blatant error on the cover of a publication? Not only is an error like this unacceptable for a professional publication, it's a sign of carelessness. When a cover has a blatant error like this one, it sets a negative tone for the rest of the publication and credibility is lost.

I should start a "Proofreading Error of the Day" blog, or at least a monthly post with all the proofing errors I come across. I read so much that I find a lot. Some, I can understand why they were missed. Others, especially when they're on a cover, not so much.

I sent a rather snarky letter to the paper's editor offering my editorial services. I wonder what the response will be...

Comments

  1. Please post the editor's response - could be funny!

    Yes, small errors happen - even Harry Potter books have typos - but not in such a prominent place. Someone was sleeping on the job that day...

    And I believe I found you through 5 Minutes for Mom! I'm offering a prize for the upcoming blog party...

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spotted it right off the bat. I know it's hard to catch everything, but I can't stand sloppy editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I don't have dietebes... I mean diabetes. :) Very funny, and easy to spot. I don't know how they missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, how could they have
    missed that spelling error on the cover? I have come across a few while reading, but they were always inside the book. nobody is perfect, but on the book cover?
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment