Booking Through Thursday...Worst 'Best' Book

Today's Booking Through Thursday question:

Suggested by Janet: How about, “What’s the worst ‘best’ book you’ve ever read — the one everyone says is so great, but you can’t figure out why?”

This one is fairly easy if you're looking at contemporary books: the entire Twilight series. Hello? Still don't get it. Twilight and New Moon were just painful to get through, Eclipse wasn't bad and I thought Breaking Dawn was the best of the bunch. But, the series as a whole? Didn't care for it. Don't get the hype. It's like really bad fan fiction.

I'd heard rave things about Going Down South, A Walk with Jane Austen, and The Jane Austen Book Club, but didn't like any of them. And what's up with Memoirs of a Geisha? I still don't get the appeal of that one. I don't really care for Nicholas Sparks or James Patterson either: the stories are sad, depressing and all the same. As far as classics go? I've always hated Catcher in the Rye, which is heralded as a great 'coming of age' novel. Maybe so, but I didn't like it.

It's always interesting to read reviews and find that someone adores a book you hated or hates a book you think is terrific. What 'best' book did you find difficult to read?

Go here for more interesting Booking Through Thursday posts.

Comments

  1. I think everyone who answered this question is very brave - people can be so passionate about their favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can pretty much tell without reading them that the Twilight books aren't anything I'd like. I don't really understand the whole Vampire cult thing, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the Twilight books! Although I only read the first one, I gather they go downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.. I didnt like Catcher in the Rye either and it makes me suspicious of the "classics"

    But I do like Nicholas Sparks. I dont know why its not the kind of stuff I usually read. But I love them anyway.

    I'm still scratching my head over why everyone loves The Graveyard by Neil Gaimen and Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznik. Not my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the first three Twilight series books.
    *gasp* Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my favorites!

    Its interesting seeing everyones answers to this question.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post cracks me up. I'm usually the same way about books people rave about that are considered classics or must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read the Twilight books, and don't know if I ever will. I really liked Memoirs of a Geisha though, and if I'm in the right mood (wanting to read a sappy tearjerker) then I'll read Nicholas Sparks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment