Ransome's Honor...Review

About the book:
When young Julia Witherington doesn’t receive the proposal for marriage she expects from William Ransome, she determines to never forgive him. They go their separate ways—she returns to her family’s Caribbean plantation, and he returns to the Royal Navy.


Now, twelve years later, Julia is about to receive a substantial inheritance, including her beloved plantation. When unscrupulous relatives try to gain the inheritance by forcing her into a marriage, she turns to the only eligible man to whom her father, Admiral Sir Edward Witherington, will not object—his most trusted captain and the man who broke Julia’s heart, William Ransome. Julia offers William her thirty-thousand-pound dowry to feign marriage for one year, but then something she never imagined happens: She starts to fall in love with him again.


Can two people overcome their hurt, reconcile their conflicting desires, and find a way to be happy together? Duty and honor, faith and love are intertwined in this intriguing tale from the Regency era.


A charming, easy read. Light Christian with no preaching. A predictable, but sweet story about love and friendship. I enjoyed that the perspective was the from those in the Royal Navy, not from the pillars of society. The villains are annoying, and I found myself frustrated that Julia allowed herself to be taken in by them as much as she did. But, she finds her backbone and true love conquers all. I loved that Julia was an older heroine. At 29, she was considered an old maid, but she was a strong, independent thinking woman: very refreshing in a Regency heroine, where most are young debutantes. This is the first in the Ransome trilogy and I look forward to the next books.

Thanks to First Wildcard and Harvest House Publishers for the opportunity to review this book. You can read the first chapter here. You can find out more about Kaye Dacus here. You can get your own copy here.

Read 7/09

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Great review. I wish I'd signed up for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific review! It sounds like this one is a little different than the typical Regency romance. Wahoo for that! I couldn't get very far because my brain was craving something different, but I know I'm going to love this one when I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review Holly!
    I do enjoy good Christian fiction thats not preachy.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Holly. As you know I really enjoy Christian fiction so I'll have to keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm about half way thru this and am enjoying it. I think I'll like this series by Kaye Dacus much better than her first series. Probably because I love historical fiction. I'm looking forward to the next one is this series as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment