A Distant Melody...Review

About the book:
Never pretty enough to please her gorgeous mother, Allie will do anything to gain her approval--even marry a man she doesn't love. Lt. Walter Novak--fearless in the cockpit but hopeless with women--takes his last furlough at home in California before being shipped overseas. Walt and Allie meet at a wedding and their love of music draws them together, prompting them to begin a correspondence that will change their lives. As letters fly between Walt's muddy bomber base in England and Allie's mansion in an orange grove, their friendship binds them together. But can they untangle the secrets, commitments, and expectations that keep them apart?


A Distant Melody is the first book in the Wings of Glory series, which follows the three Novak brothers, B-17 bomber pilots with the US Eighth Air Force stationed in England during World War II.

I enjoy historical romances and I enjoy historical war romances. That love blossomed during such difficult times always fills me with hope. I loved A Distant Melody, absolutely loved it. Allie and Walt are characters who you will grow to care about. They are flawed and real. You will neglect dinner and household responsibilities because you can't put the book down.

It took a few chapters for me to get all the characters straight in my head, but everyone found his place and the story drew me in completely. I cheered when Allie stood up for herself and I wanted to slap her parents silly for their complete and utter inability to love their daughter for who she was. It's difficult for me to believe that parents could honestly be so cruel. I hope that more of their story is explained in future books. However, both Walt and Allie discover that being obedient to God and faithful to their values is the only way to be truly happy.

Allie and Walt's letters to each other were a wonderful touch and so realistic to the time. The air battles and Walt's flight experiences with his crew are thrilling and believable. I also loved the Northern California setting: Walt's hometown of Antioch, California is 20 miles from my hometown in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thrilling and heartbreaking but also charming and tender. Sarah Sundin has written a terrific debut novel, and I cannot wait for the next books in this series.

Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. Thanks to Donna Hausler of Baker Publishing for the opportunity to review this book. You can learn more about Sarah Sundin here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 3/10

* * * * *
5/5 Stars


Comments

  1. I saw this somewhere yesterday. It sounds like a good book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly! With your kid/fatigue issues (I'm in the same boat), I'm so glad you took the time to read my book - and that you liked it! And I'm glad you enjoyed the local setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like my kind of book. I almost bypassed your review because I keep seeing "Read 3/10" and thinking that's your rating, but the cover got me. I'm so glad I didn't skip the review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment