The Gift of an Ordinary Day...Review...DNF

About the book:
The Gift of an Ordinary Day is an intimate memoir of a family in transition-boys becoming teenagers, careers ending and new ones opening up, an attempt to find a deeper sense of place, and a slower pace, in a small New England town. It is a story of mid-life longings and discoveries, of lessons learned in the search for home and a new sense of purpose, and the bittersweet intensity of life with teenagers--holding on, letting go.

Poised on the threshold between family life as she's always known it and her older son's departure for college, Kenison is surprised to find that the times she treasures most are the ordinary, unremarkable moments of everyday life, the very moments that she once took for granted, or rushed right through without noticing at all.

The relationships, hopes, and dreams that Kenison illuminates will touch women's hearts, and her words will inspire mothers everywhere as they try to make peace with the inevitable changes in store.

This was one I really looked forward to reading. It sounds like something I normally would enjoy. However, I've gone back to it several times over the past couple of months and I just can't get into it. There were bits of wisdom and insight here and there, but it's just not a book I connected with. The writing is good, but circuitous and rambling. Perhaps my children are too young, perhaps it's just me and where I am in life. I don't know. There are many other good reviews out there, and I have no doubt that many women will find this inspirational and uplifting.

Thanks to Anna Balasi of Hatchette Books for the opportunity to review this book. You can learn more about Katrina Kenison here. You can purchase the book here.

Read 3/10


1/5 Stars


Comments

  1. I have this book too. It sounds like something I would enjoy but your review makes sense. I have a young son too so I may not be able to relate quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this didn't work for you. Since my son's practically grown, maybe I'll like it more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment