Lydia's Charm...Review

About the book:
Lydia King is suddenly a widow and moved her son and herself to Charm, Ohio, to be close to her mother and help with her grandfather.  But is her heart ready for romance when gifts begin appearing on her porch from a mysterious source.

Menno Troyer, a furniture store owner, is also recently widowed and the father of four energetic boys.  He has come to realize that, thought he doesn't think he's ready to love again, his sons need a mother.

Levi Stutzman, another newcomer to the area, is the only one in his family not handicapped by dwarfism, and he has dedicated his life to caring for them.  Thought determined never to marry, he is always willing to be of help to others.

Will the anonymous gifts left for Lydia bring her hope for a new life?  And when tragedy befalls her yet again, will the mysterious gift giver be there to support her?

Sometimes there are certain authors with whom you just don't connect.  This is the second Wanda Brunstetter book I've read and I just didn't like it.  I read White Christmas Pie and thought it was very light and fluffy, nothing special. When I saw Lydia's Charm, I figured I'd give Wanda Brunstetter another chance, because the story sounded appealing, but ultimately wasn't.  I found the characters to be one-dimensional.  Menno was selfish and Lydia's mother Mae was downright horrible.  The Stutzman family was wonderful, but Levi was annoying.  The story was contrived and the writing very pedestrian.  I only finished the book to find out if I was right about the anonymous gift giver.

I have no doubt that Wanda Brunstetter fans will love it.  It has mostly 4 and 5 stars everywhere.  It just wasn't for me.

Thanks to Planned Television Arts for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Wanda Brunstetter here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 10/10


1/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I, too, have been less than impressed with the books I have read by Wanda Brunstetter. The plots seemed so elementary with the same thoughts being written over and over again. In case you decide to give her a third chance, let me steer you away from the Sisters of Holmes County series. Book one was decent, but the other two had the problems that I mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment