Amy Inspired...Review

About the book:
Amy Gallagher is an aspiring writer who, after countless rejections, has settled for a career as an English professor in small-town Ohio just to pay the bills. All her dreams suddenly start to unravel as rejections pile up--both from publishers and her boyfriend. But just as Amy fears her life is stuck in a holding pattern, she meets the mysterious, attractive, and unavailable Eli.

She struggles to walk the fine line between friendship and something more with Eli, even as staying true to her faith becomes unexpectedly complicated. When secrets, tragedy, and poor decisions cause rifts in Amy's relationships, she must come to terms with who she's become, her unrealized aspirations for her life, and the state of her faith. Can she dare to hope that she will find love and fulfillment despite it all?

I've seen such mixed reviews about this book and mine will probably be no different.  I enjoyed the story, but I didn't love it.  I found the ending lacking and really didn't understand the author ended it the way she did.

Amy's voice is great, but the story is all over the board.  I found myself wondering what the real purpose for writing it.  Is it a story about a single women searching for her purpose and path in life?  Is the focus Amy and Eli?  Is the focus friendship or family relationships? The ring of truth to Amy suggests that it's partially autobiographical and that the author based Amy on herself. Which is fine, because I did like Amy.  I never quite understood her attraction to Eli.

Light on the Christian, this is an interesting commentary on the life of writers and wannabe writers.  It's actually quite well written and the language is lyrical.  I liked it, I didn't love it.

Thanks to Bethany House for the opportunity to review this book.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 12/10

* * * 
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I just read the book this weekend, and have mixed feelings as well. One thing I did like was the realness of the characters. Some parts did just make me laugh, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've discovered I don't particularly like reading books about writers, even though I find that it's tempting to write about writing when I actually take the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment