A Necessary Deception...Review

About the book:
When young widow Lydia Gale helps a French prisoner obtain parole, she never dreams she will see him again. But just as the London Season gets under way, the man presents himself in her parlor. While she should be focused on getting her headstrong younger sister prepared for her entrée into Society, Lady Gale finds herself preoccupied with the mysterious Frenchman. Is he a spy or a suitor? Can she trust him? Or is she putting herself and her family in danger?


Discover a world of elegance and intrigue, balls and masquerades as Laurie Alice Eakes whisks you into the drawing rooms of London Society on this exciting quest to let the past stay in the past--and let love guide the future.

Lydia's husband went to war with France after a week of marriage.  After his death, she received cryptic instructions which told her that one day she would have the chance to help a friend of her husband's.  When that time comes, she's surprised to find out that she's helping to free a French prisoner.  With unanswered questions she, nevertheless, fulfills her obligation.  As she then travels to London to prepare her younger sisters for one's entrance into society and another's marriage, she's surprised to once again meet this mysterious Frenchman.  Lydia has no idea that her actions have drawn her into a dangerous game of intrigue and secrets.

I grew frustrated at times with chapters that ended and then didn't pick up again, but went onto something different.  I'm sure it was the author's attempt at suspense, but I often felt like I'd missed something.  Lydia's family was difficult to like and it was easy to see her frustrations with them.  Her parents left her sisters' lives and futures in her hands and we never really understood why.  The story has its moments, but I felt like there were too many unanswered questions and not enough detail.

I read Eakes' Lady in the Mist and while I didn't love it, I was curious about this new one as I enjoy the regency time period.  However, both books were rather ordinary and unexceptional and I've decided that this is just an author who doesn't resonate with me.  Fans of the regency time period and Laurie Alice Eakes, however, should enjoy this.

Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. Thanks to Donna Hausler of Baker Publishing for the opportunity to review this book.   You can learn more about Laurie Alice Eakes here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 10/11

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Hmmm... this sounds like a good read, but then I enjoy the regency era, so I'll look forward to it. Plus, I always enjoy trying a new author. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted the review of Monet at Giverney. It is a great book if you have the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment