The Widow of Larkspur Inn...Review

About the book:
When Life Seemed Its Worst, Gresham Awaited.

Julia Hollis' opulent life in Victorian London crashes to pieces when her husband passes away. Worse, she is told by his bankers that he gambled away their fortune. Now, the family's hope rests on The Larkspur, an old abandoned coaching inn in the quaint village of Gresham.

Driven by dread and her desire to provide for her children, Julia decides to turn the dilapidated inn into a lodging house. But can she--who was accustomed to servants attending to every need--do what needs to be done and cope when boarders begin arriving? And then an eligible new vicar moves into town...

If it wasn't bad enough that her husband died, it's even worse when Julia discovers his gambling debts mean she has lost her home and his fortune.  All that is left is an abandoned inn in a faraway village.  Setting out to make a life for herself and her children, Julia travels to Gresham with the intent of turning the inn into a lodging house.

This was a Kindle freebie from back in March and I as am slowly working my way through my TBR stacks, I finally got around to it.  This was a lovely novel.  It's sweet and slow.  The story moves at its own quiet pace.  Julia's story is front and center, but we also see her son's perspective and several other perspectives of the lodgers and villagers.  It's not too much though and the stories all weave together.

The Christian elements are fairly heavy-handed but the conflicts and tension were minimal and everything works out.  At times I felt like bits and pieces were missing and it was surprising that a woman of Julia's status and inability would be so successful as an boarding house matron so quickly, but I do love strong and resilient women and Julia definitely fits that category.

This is the first of a series and I believe my library has them, so I would like to continue reading about Julia and Andrew and the village of Gresham.

I "purchased" this from Amazon when it was free.  (I love Kindle freebies!) You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 8/14

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I haven't seen this book before... it sounds interesting!

    I love Kindle Freebies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this book before... it sounds interesting!

    I love Kindle Freebies too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment