Childhood Favorites...The Boxcar Children

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

I loved the library when I was little. I probably have mentioned that before...

I'd check out my favorite stories over and over and The Boxcar Children were among those stories. And while I read many of the books in the series, my very favorite was the first one.


I loved the story of the orphan children running from the mean people. Henry buying bread and them all sharing it. Finding the abandoned boxcar and making it a home. And then discovering their grandfather and that he loved them. One of my favorite parts was how after the children came to live with him, he brought the boxcar to his house for them.

The Boxcar Children is a book about resourcefulness. About family sticking together no matter what and brothers and sisters caring and looking out for one another. When I discovered it as a 10 year old, it resonated with me.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments

  1. The book is a new one for me. I enjoyed the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how many childhood favorites we share, including this one. Did you ever read Caddie Woodlawn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprise Island was my favorite in this series; I read it over and over as a kid. But I love this one, too. Them surviving on their own, and creating their own little home really appealed to me for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate to say it but I've never read the Boxcar Children that I remember. But it doesn't stop me from reading it now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment