#WeekendReflections: 12/2

Looking outside...it's cloudy and cold. I think it's currently 28.

Listening...to Christmas music and the dishwasher running. The Artist is watching something on his tablet. The Boy is asleep, because he worked late. The Doctor is seeing some patients this morning.

Loving...hot cocoa, thick socks, sweaters and scarves. 

Thinking...that I really hate the administrative side of health care. Each insurance company does things their own way. There is very little continuity. Medicare still can't get it together to be consistent about anything. 

I am realizing that there are many, many things that go wrong with billing, and how many people just pay their medical bills without actually questioning them. 

And I absolutely abhor the word, "deductible". I always did, but I do even moreso now. The word "deductible" is simply an excuse for insurance companies to not pay for anything. "It goes towards your deductible." Like that helps anyone or anything except greedy insurance companies. So, on the doctor side of it, we get patients who expect their insurance company to cover their costs (and insurance companies really don't like chiropractors), so when they don't because "it went towards your outrageously high deductible" and then the patient receives a bill, they're not happy. 

And because I know what it's like to be stretched for money, I will even accept payments. I wish other doctors would do that (especially all you greedy dentists who just say, "We like you, but not enough to let you make payments, so come back when you can pay the full price"), so I will work with you to make them to us.

In my kitchen...We're grilling burgers for dinner and watching the BSU game.

Wearing...black skirt, burgundy turtleneck, black cardigan and black boots. What? It was chilly this morning!

Reading...Seriously, what's that?

Today...We got up early so the Artist could go into town and meet his bus driver. The bus company is doing a charity drive this week that benefits The Ronald McDonald House of Boise. The Artist came home with a flyer about it and suggestions of items to donate.

Ronald McDonald Houses are one of our favorite organizations to support. When The Boy was born and transferred to UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco for his heart surgery, we were offered space in the Ronald McDonald House near the hospital. We were so touched, but ultimately decided that because we lived within an hour of the hospital, we would go home each night and not take away space from a family who truly needed it.

But, ever since then, when we have the opportunity to donate or support Ronald McDonald Houses, we do. The majority of donations go to the houses, not administration. It's a fantastic organization.

The Artist understands this, but he also just simply has a giving heart and when presented with an opportunity to serve others, he takes it. We gave him a budget and some suggestions towards items to purchase and went shopping. In addition to canned food, items suggested were towels and sheets and toys/gifts for varying ages of children, from babies to teenagers.

So today he took his gifts to Kirk, his beloved bus driver, so they could "Fill the Bus"!

As a parent you think your kids are amazing, even as you also try to understand that they aren't perfect. It warmed my heart today to see Kirk as happy to see The Artist as he was to see Kirk. And then to hear Kirk tell us that The Artist is such a great young man and he wished that he had a bus full of kids like him.

Quoting..."Oh, the joy that fills our hearts and makes us see...Cause that's Christmas to me. I've got this Christmas song in my heart; I've got the candles glowing in the dark. And then for years to come we'll always know one thing; that's the love that Christmas can bring Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me". -- That's Christmas to Me by Pentatonix

Feeling...tired. Still weary, but working through issues of my own.

Planning...this week. Lists for the office, gifts and plans for Christmas. 

Gratitude...for a comfortable home. It's not grand, but it's ours and is warm and meets our needs well. I am grateful for my fireplace, for electricity and gas, appliances that work, and cars that run. I am grateful to be able to work with my husband as we build this practice.

From my world... 




I am grateful for people who are good influences on my children. I am grateful for children who not only serve and help others, but who look for and recognize those opportunities.

What about you? What are you reflecting on this week? How has your week gone?

Comments

Post a Comment