Childhood Favorites...Little Women

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

I devoured Little Women the first time I read it and so many times since then. I don't remember how old I was that first time, probably in elementary school, but I loved it immediately. It was a book about sisters and I have three younger sisters. And while being the oldest, I related so well to Jo. I was the bookish one.



I loved Little Men and Jo's Boys when I discovered them. Plumfield was such a cool place and I so enjoyed seeing Jo and her professor together.

I adored Laurie as much as the next girl, but I never wanted him to get together with Jo. She and Frederich are true soulmates. You see this so much clearer in the sequels. I mean, how can you not sigh at this: "Jo, I haf nothing but much love to gif you. I came to see if you could care for it, and I waited to be sure that I was something more than a friend. Am I? Can you make a little place in your heart for old Fritz?" he added, all in one breath.

My favorite film is the 1994 one with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale. It was such a fantastic book to film adaptation.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments

  1. As a kid, I loved the Oz books, The Little Princess, and any book that had a horse and a girl in it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment