The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse...#BookReview

About the book:
From the revered British illustrator, a modern fable for all ages that explores life’s universal lessons, featuring 100 color and black-and-white drawings.

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” asked the mole.

“Kind,” said the boy.

Charlie Mackesy offers inspiration and hope in uncertain times in this beautiful book based on his famous quartet of characters. The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse explores their unlikely friendship and the poignant, universal lessons they learn together.

Radiant with Mackesy’s warmth and gentle wit, The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse blends hand-written narrative with dozens of drawings, including some of his best-loved illustrations (including “Help,” which has been shared over one million times) and new, never-before-seen material. A modern classic in the vein of The Tao of Pooh, The Alchemist, and The Giving Tree, this charmingly designed keepsake will be treasured for generations to come.

I had never heard of Charlie Mackesy until a nice young man in Barnes and Noble shared this book with me. I brought it home and read it in about 15 minutes.


The boy asks questions. The mole likes cake. The fox is kind and observant and the horse is patient and loving. The lessons are not new, but they are whimsically twined together in beautiful prose and gorgeous illustrations.


"Be kind. Do good. Love is a verb." is something I say often. Our now-adult children will tell you that the one thing we have tried to teach them is to be kind. I believe they are. And this is a story that I will share with them.

This is a magical and heartwarming story and one that resonated with me so completely. I believe its message is timeless and one that everyone needs to hear and hear again.

I purchased my own copy.  You can learn more about Charlie Mackesy on his website and follow him on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.

Read 12/19

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments