Childhood Favorites...Witch in the House

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

One of my favorite parts of elementary school was the Scholastic Book Orders. I don't remember book fairs, but each month we would bring home a book order and I would circle book after book, wanting to get them all. My mother  always let me get one or two. Back in the 70s these sweet little paperback stories were 75 cents or maybe a dollar. I read them over and over again. I still have many.


One of my favorites was Witch in the House by Ruth Chew, about a girl who finds a witch in her house. The witch sat upside down on the ceiling and ate egg shells, coffee grounds and burnt toast. She took a shower while sitting on the bath mat on the ceiling in the bathroom. The girls would fly on that magic bathmat and that was so cool. Who wouldn't want to do that?

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments

  1. I loved the Scholastic book forms, too. I still own some of the books I ordered when I was in school. The price on them makes me laugh. Jane Eyre= .35 cents. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds cool. I am going to look for it for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment