Childhood Favorites...Little Mommy

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

My all-time favorite book as a small girl was Little Mommy. First published by Golden Books in 1967, I literally wore out my copy. I had the entire story memorized. I was captivated by the illustrations.



Many Little Golden Books have stayed in print for decades, but not Little Mommy. For years, any time I would be in a bookstore, whether new or used, and they had Little Golden Books, I always searched for a copy of Little Mommy. I never found one.


Then Amazon showed up in the publishing world. Amazon is where I found reprints of my childhood treasure. I immediately ordered one and when it arrived, I delighted in reading it again.


It's interesting the little changes that have been made though. The cover is different. And on the page where Danny is the doctor, there used to be a little bottle of pink pills, spilling onto the page. Probably just baby aspirin, but that little picture is gone. No matter though, the book is just as sweet as it was when I first looked at it as a toddler.


The tea party is just as lovely, with chocolate cookies and cherries on the table. I had always remembered the chocolate cookies!

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments