Пятница Ponderings: Remember

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------
Gifts are wonderful things. To receive something that someone has given you is a blessing. My husband has given me some lovely gifts over the years, but my favorites are the ones where he has "remembered". He has remembered something I've said, often in passing.

For Mother's Day one year, he surprised me with tickets to see Mikhail Baryshinkov dance. Something I never thought I would be able to do. But he listened and he remembered and when he found out that Misha was going to be dancing at Cal Berkeley, he moved heaven and earth to get tickets and surprise me. Still one of the best experiences of my life.

He gave me a gift subscription to Rosetta Stone one year, because I had mentioned I wanted to learn Russian again.


This year, my favorite book I read was Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. It's a fantastic novel about a woman named Tova and an octopus named Marcellus. Run, don't walk and get a copy for yourself. 

I read and finished it on our anniversary trip to the Oregon Coast in October. He listened to me talk about it and he remembered. We visited a little store in Manzanita, Oregon and they had a stuffed octopus. I said, "He looks like Marcellus, from the book!" But, I didn't buy him. And I came to regret it.

But, my husband remembered. And he searched and found another Marcellus.

And this month, for my birthday, he gave me Marcellus. And while he gave me some lovely gifts for my birthday and Christmas, Marcellus stands out, because he remembered.

I hope your holiday season has been one of joy. And I hope that you will listen and remember, and that others in your life do the same.

Comments