Пятница Ponderings: This is 56

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------
It's my birthday week. 

I am 56. That used to be old. But, suddenly it's not. Neither is 60 or 65. 

Birthdays are interesting. We celebrate someone becoming older, still being alive. Some people revel in the attention. Others just want the day to be over. 

I find birthdays to be introspective. Especially this one. Mid-50s. How did I get here? 

I quit coloring my hair last year and have embraced my natural silver. I have some wrinkles. 

I embraced the word "authentic" and have been on a journey of figuring out who I am, what I believe, and where I want to go in my life. 

I don't have many answers, but I do have perspective and intuition. 

I know that I value love and kindness most of all. I believe that kindness is the most important value anyone can embody. If we as humans embraced kindness and lived it, this world would truly be a wonderful place. 

I don't need a church or a belief in a higher power to know this. I will try and live it every day that I have left on this earth. 

I love books and learning. I love travel and seeing new places. 

I adore the beach. I miss the ocean, but I love my mountains. 

I value goodness and honesty. The magic in everyday life. A blue sky and bright sun over sparkling snow. A child's laugh. A cup of hot chocolate at the end of the day. Hugs. Good conversation. Friendship. Family. Playing board games and laughing.

I have a wonderful husband who has been my partner and best friend for 26 years and counting.

I have two amazing sons, who bring me joy every day. I am so proud of them. 


This is 56. I ask myself what have I done with my life? Have I made a difference? I don't know, but I intend to spend the next 56 years trying.

Be kind. Do good. Make a difference to someone else. Love is a verb. 


Comments