Пятница Ponderings: Winter Peace

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------
For my birthday weekend, we did an overnight in our happy place. We drove up to McCall, Idaho for a bookstore, a burger and a relaxing evening.

The drive up to McCall from Boise is one of my favorites. As you leave Banks, and head into the forest, it becomes a winter wonderland in December. The trees are heavy with snow that sparkles in the sun, or welcomes you through the fog.

I love winter. Fall is my favorite season, but I love the forest and the mountains in the wintertime. 

Snow, to me, means peace. I realized as we drove the winding road up the mountain that the snow muffles the noise and anxiety of the world in a blanket of silence. 

The highway follows the North Fork of the Payette River. A river we have rafted many times in the summer. It is wild and tumbling at times and always an adventure to be on.


But, now, the river is still and frozen in places; covered with marshmallow rocks, yet it moves forward slowly, resolutely. Determined.

How am I like that river? I have wild and tumbling times where everything seems topsy turvy and in upheaval. Summer to me is like that river. Open and crazy and wild and vulnerable. I am always happy when it is over. I look forward to the calmer times. Where I'm quiet, thoughtful, introspective, and I know I can't just stop, even though I want to. I still move forward.  

I welcome the winter in my life. The time that comes to calm down and reflect. To curl up in a comfortable chair in front of a fire with my thoughts, and a warm drink and perhaps a book. To sit with those I love in conversation and silence.

To find peace, even if just for a short time.

Comments