Bad Mormon: A Memoir...#BookReview

About the book:
Straight off the slopes and into the spotlight, Heather Gay is famous for speaking the gospel truth. Whether as a businesswoman, mother, or television personality, she is unafraid to blaze a new trail, even if it means losing family, friends, and her community. 

Born and bred to be devout, Heather based her life around her faith. She attended Brigham Young University, served a mission in France, and married into Mormon royalty in the temple. But her life as a good Mormon abruptly ended when she lost the marriage and faith that she had once believed would last forever. 

With writing that is beautiful, sad, funny, and true, Heather recounts the difficult discovery of the darkness and damage that often exists behind a picture-perfect life, while examining the nuanced relationship between duty to self and duty to God. “An eye-opening firsthand account of religious indoctrination told with candor and sincerity” (Interview magazine), Bad Mormon is an unfiltered look at the religion that broke her heart.

I have never watched a Real Housewives show. I knew absolutely nothing about Heather Gay, but I'd seen the book when it was first published. And in all honesty, I completely dismissed her as some dumb, self-absorbed Hollywood celebrity. It wasn't until I heard her on a Mormon Stories podcast that I realized I could relate to some of her story.

As a former Mormon, much of Heather's Mormon experience resonated with me. The role and expectation of women, especially. The use of guilt and coercion; the disappointment in your family and friends when you leave; and the joy you discover outside the faith bubble. I was surprised that some of the writing managed to convey bits of depth and introspection when she talked about Mormonism. 

But that's where it ended. 

Self-absorption, though, is present throughout it and one could argue, why did this woman feel like she could write a memoir? Is she really that well known outside the Real Housewives audience? Is this just an excuse to further her 15 minutes of fame? Maybe. I certainly didn't know who she was. But, the sensationalism of the Ex-Mormon aspect is certainly attention-grabbing.

She name drops so many people with the assumption that the reader will know them. Perhaps Real Houswives fans do. I didn't. Outside the Mormon aspect, I related to very little in this book. I have never lived an affluent life with spa visits, lip plumping, and botox. I do my own nails.

Once Heather reached the part of her story that talked about her post-Mormon, post-divorce life and Real Housewives, she lost me. So much superficial artifice that seemed important to her new life. 

The subject matter is mature and active LDS members will find offense at her descriptions of those things that Mormons believe to be sacred. But, I don't see active LDS members seeking out this story.

I much preferred the actual Mormon Stories podcast over the book. Heather presents far better there, than she does here.

Read 9/24

* *
2/5 Stars

Book 1 from the Book Jar.

Comments